The Firm’s expertise covers corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, investment structuring, financing, public offerings, joint ventures, franchising, and corporate rehabilitation. The Firm has the competence and capability to conduct comprehensive due diligence examinations of companies. The Firm also handles substantial work involving family law, environmental law, general litigation, administrative law, mining, banking, taxation, trusts, estate planning, intellectual property, labor and telecommunications. The firm is highly respected for its work in intellectual property, especially in the protection of trademarks, copyrights and patents. Senior partner Atty. Lorna Patajo-Kapunan is an acknowledged expert in the field of intellectual property internationally. The late Senator Raul Roco was instrumental in the drafting of the Intellectual Property Code with the assistance of the senior partners of the Firm.
The Firm is also an advocate of environment law, and is also lobbying for the passage of anti-trust laws to protect small and medium Filipino business enterprises.
K&C believes that every client deserves the best legal service. In handling a referral, a team of lawyers is carefully chosen and organized under the supervision of a partner, with the number of lawyers varying according to the extent and complexity of the work required. This system assures high-quality legal service.
- Review and drafting of Human Resource Policies
- Review and drafting of Code or Manual for Employees
- Drafting of Notices to erring employees
- Administrative investigations of erring employees
- Preparation of statements of employers in relation to administrative investigation conducted
- Advise on labor laws, hiring of employees, employee benefits
- Assist and handle labor cases filed before the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)
- Preparation and filing of reportorial requirements before the DOLE
- Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) drafting and negotiations
- Preparation of employment contracts and scope of services
- Assist in securing travel information of a particular individual
- Legal advise on immigration laws
- Assist clients in the acquisition of pre-arranged employment visas, provisional permits to work, alien certificates of registration, special return cards, temporary visitor’s visas, special investor’s resident visas and other kinds of visas or permits, for local and multinational clients
- Assist clients in obtaining Philippine passports and documentary requirements from the consular services of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
- Represent clients in deportation and other related proceedings before the Bureau of Immigration.
- Assist clients in securing their dual citizenship
- Assist clients to secure travel permits and clearance
- Assist clients to enforce hold departure orders and watch list orders
- Assist and handle petitions for declaration of absolute nullity; petitions for annulment; petitions for legal separation; petitions for dissolution of conjugal partnerships or absolute community property; petitions for recognition of foreign judgments of divorce; petitions for recognition of legitimacy; petitions for support; petitions for adoption; petitions for custody; petitions for change of name; petitions for VAWCI; complaint/petition for a protection order; petitions for sole or joint administration of community property; petitions or letters of administration for sole or joint community property; petitions for the allowance of a will; petitions for settlement of estate.
- Assist in the drafting and preparation of agreements on property relations, custody, visitation and support
- Assist in the drafting and preparation of demand letters for support
- Assist in the drafting of prenuptial agreements
- Assist in the preparation of deeds of donations, wills, trust, and intricate asset protection planning.
- Assist in securing Certificates of No Marriage (CENOMAR), birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates before the Local Civil Registrars and the NSO.
- Assist clients in incorporating a new company as well as in securing business permits and securing other post-incorporation requirements.
- Due diligence reviews
- Advise clients on corporate finance, corporate restructuring, and bankruptcy, contracts, corporate rehabilitation, real property, mining and energy, foreign investments, telecommunication, banking and finance, insurance and governmental relations and regulatory affairs.
- Advise clients on compliance with corporate reportorial requirements and good corporate governance.
- Serve as corporate secretaries, assisting the client in holding directors and stockholders meetings, share issuances and transfers, record keeping, and complying with reporting requirements imposed by such agencies as the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Trade and Industry, the Board of Investments, and the Philippines Stock Exchange.
- Prepare contracts such as deeds of sale or assignment of shares and of property, deeds for transfer of property in exchange for shares and other documents like share purchase agreements, shareholder’s agreements, etc.
- Consultations and advise on contemporary developments in Philippine Law and rendering of opinions required in the ordinary business of a company.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
- Preparation and filing of trademark, patent, utility model, design and copyright applications in the Philippines and abroad.
- Preparation and filing of international trademark and patent applications.
- Trademark and Patent Searches
- Patent Drafting
- Opposition Cases
- Cancellation Cases
- Unfair Competition and/or Infringement Cases
- Administrative Proceedings
- Licensing / Assignment / Franchising
- IP Audit / IP Valuation
- Revival / Renewal
- Monitoring of deadlines
- Advise clients on all tax matters.
- Assist clients in complying with all tax-related requirements and securing rulings, treaty relief applications, tax audits, tax assessments and refund claims, including customs duty assessments and refund claims.
- Advise clients when dealing with tax assessments, protests, litigation and appeals.
- Advise clients in all aspects of taxation, including income taxation, percentage tax, customs duties and taxation, value-added tax, estate and donor’s taxes, minimization and avoidance of the impact of international double taxation.
- Represent clients in all incidences requiring legal representation before the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), Commissioner of Customs, Court of Tax Appeals, and the regular and appellate courts.
- Render opinions and advice concerning the impact of taxation or the minimization thereof, with regard to particular transactions, contracts, dealings and arrangements with local and foreign entities.
- Assist clients in obtaining BIR Opinions.
- Advise clients on family legal relationships, inheritance law, property rights and obligations, contracts, civil, contractual and non-contractual liability.
- Represent clients in cases involving property, abuse of rights, torts and damages, claims, specific performance, etc.
- Represent clients in all courts and administrative agencies.
- Assist clients during preliminary investigation proceedings before the Office of the City Prosecutor.
- Ensure that all the elements of the crime are duly proven to withstand probable cause and eventually lead to the filing of the pertinent information in courts.
- Provide the best legal service to secure a conviction or evade one.
- Ensure that the constitutional and legal rights of the accused are respected.
- Assist in securing the liberty of our clients by posting bail.
- Represent clients in various types of crimes and felonies, such as, but not limited to, physical injuries, theft, robbery, estafa, bouncing checks (BP 22), violence against women, assault, drug possession, domestic violence, possession of firearms, homicide, falsification, perjury, graft and many others.
- Experience in mediation, arbitration and other alternative modes of dispute resolution, especially in the fields of construction, local and international commercial arbitration.
- Handle environmental protection cases and was the first Firm to be issued a Writ of Kalikasan by the Supreme Court of the Philippines.
- Advise clients on governmental regulations and issuances pertaining to environmental matters, due diligence in land and property acquisitions, conversions, and clearances.
- Represent clients in Land Registration cases
- Assist clients in Land Title registrations and amendments before the Registry of Deeds
- Assistance and attendance at Public Hearings